SEN Information Report

Burton Road Primary School continually strives to meet the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and we are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school and access an Inclusive Curriculum. The Local Authority SEND Services and Provision can be found as part of their ‘Local Offer’, detailed at the website

All schools within the authority are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

Please click on the questions below on this school web page, for more information about Special Educational Needs at Burton Road Primary School.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

Miss L. Windsor – School Senco – Allocated Senco Time Weds mornings, supported by Mrs. H. Schofield – Assistant Headteacher, deputizing as Senco as required. Appointments can be made by ringing the School Office on 01226 288679.

School Senco is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you as parents are involved in supporting your child’s learning, kept informed about the support your child is getting and involved in reviewing how they are doing in termly SEN reviews.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc…
  •  Updating the school’s SEN Support register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Class Teacher is responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and informing the School Senco as necessary.
  • Writing Personal Sen-Support Plans (PSPs) for pupils with SEND and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

Mr. Matthew Harris – Headteacher
Headteacher is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • He gives responsibility to the Senco and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • He must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

Mrs. Stephanie Cooper – SEN Governor
SEN Governor is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Burton Road Primary School?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching. For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific work with in a smaller group of children or individually.

  • This group, often called Interventions by schools, may be run in the classroom or outside. It is either run by a teacher or most often a learning support assistant who has had training to run these groups. This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.
  • The work completed in Interventions is planned in detail every half-term and forms part of the Graduated Approach to SEND within the school where we follow a ASSESS, PLAN, DO, REVIEW cycle.

SEAL (Social and Emotional Aspects of learning) support for SEN children within the school

  • We have been successfully nurturing SEN pupils with extra SEAL support now for many years. As a school we strongly support SEN children in improving their social and emotional development and realise that this is vital in helping them progress. SEAL sessions within the classroom discuss how equality is important in the World and our school. Extra SEAL sessions are available with a SEAL trained LSA for SEN children to discuss any worries or concerns they may have. They are listened to in a quiet setting and either taken as a group or individually. They are made aware of what to do if they have concerns about issues such as bullying.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language Therapy OR Occupational Therapy groups

  • Individual support for your child, usually in block sessions.

Extra specialist support from a professional outside the school.

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/Senco (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission (generally written consent) for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. Integrated Inclusion Services, Educational Psychology Services or Health Care Professionals. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to improve support for them.

Specified Individual support

  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place. This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.
  • In some cases, SEND pupils may have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or from 1st September 2014, an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/School Senco as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school. Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from: Local Authority central services such as Integrated Inclusion Services, outside health agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or occupational therapy or physiotherapy.

For your child this may mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current SEN Support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the SEN Support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the range of support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child. This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school? What are the procedures I need to follow if I have a complaint?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the School Senco or Headteacher
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.
  • If the issue still is not resolved, parents would be advised to go to the Complaints Procedure which is there to guide you when making a complaint. This can be found on the school website or alternatively a copy can be requested from the school office.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have too
  • complete a ‘Registration of Initial Concern’ form with you
  • discuss the possibility of placing your child on the Sen Support Register in School.
  • plan any additional support your child may receive. At this point the class teacher may discuss producing a P.S.P. (Personal Sen-Support Plan) for your child. The PSP will be reviewed termly in school to make sure we are addressing your child’s SEND needs and enabling him/her to make the best possible progress.
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different SEN Support Ranges of Need?

The school budget, received from Barnsley LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND. The LA uses data from the annual census to determine the level of SEN funding allocated to school, based upon the number and status of children on SEN support.The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school. The Head Teacher and the Senco discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

  • the children getting extra support already
  • the children needing extra support
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected
  • Deciding what resources/training and support is needed and reviewing this regularly.

Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEN in this school?

  • Learning Support Assistants
  • Integrated Inclusion Services
  • Educational Psychology Services
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?

The Senco’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.
The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as ASD and Speech and language difficulties.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. courses offered from Integrated Inclusion Services.

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met. Learning support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary. Your child’s PSP will help school staff understand your child’s needs and areas they need support with in order to make maximum academic progress. Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups. Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher. His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in reading, writing and numeracy. If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P levels’.

At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.

Children on SEN support will have a PSP which will be reviewed with your involvement, every term and the plan for the next term made. You child’s academic levels and targets will be discussed at this meeting and the SEN provision in place to help your child achieve his/her targets.

The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

The Senco will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

The school has an ‘open door’ policy and the Senco is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

We have recently started a SEND parents group in the school and we aim to meet at least once a term to allow parents to discuss any new legislation, share ideas and help one another.

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

PSP’s will be reviewed with your involvement each term.

Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

How is Burton Road accessible to children with SEND?

The junior building is accessible to children with physical disability via a ramp at the top of the playground. The ground floor of the building is accessible to those with physical disabilities. We have a lift to transport children with physical disabilities to the junior department and upper level within the school.

We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND. Parents may find it useful to read the school’s equality policy for further details.

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving child to another school:
We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. At the transition review, strategies will be put in place to facilitate a smooth transition to the new school. If it is a move to secondary school, the Senco will help set up visits to potential schools in liaison with the secondary Senco. Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school. We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:
Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All PSPs will be shared with the new teacher.

If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them. Sometimes photos of the new staff and environment are taken to ease stress for the pupil. Extra SEAL sessions may be offered to your child to ease their anxiety when moving to a new setting.