Children will initially be placed on the SEND register in school once the Registration of Initial Cause For Concern form has been completed and signed by school SENDCo and parents. They will be placed on SEN support and be part of the ASSESS, PLAN, DO, REVIEW graduated approach. They will have an SFP with targets / outcomes which will be reviewed three times through the academic year. We recognise the importance of a person centred approach and pupils will be involved in reviewing SFPs and their 'one page' profiles. 


Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching. For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.
  • Adaptations of the curriculum and learning environment to maximise learning for pupils with special educational needs e.g. coloured paper provided for children with Irlens Syndrome. 

Specific work with in a smaller group of children or individually.

  • This group, often called Interventions by schools, may be run in the classroom or outside. It is either run by a teacher or most often a learning support assistant who has had training to run these groups. This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.
  • The work completed in Interventions is planned in detail every half-term and forms part of the Graduated Approach to SEND within the school where we follow a ASSESS, PLAN, DO, REVIEW cycle.
  • The progress the children make within interventions will be monitored closely by the school SENDCo and provision will be changed accordingly. 

SEMH (Social Emotional & Mental Health) Support for SEND children within the school

  • We have been successfully nurturing SEND pupils with extra PSHE support now for many years. As a school we strongly support SEND children in improving their social and emotional development and realise that this is vital in helping them progress. PSHE sessions within the classroom discuss how equality is important in the World and our school. Extra SEMH sessions are available with a  trained Thrive Practitioner for SEND children to discuss any worries or concerns they may have.  Each pupil will have a Thrive Profile, highlighting their strengths and needs. They are listened to in a quiet setting and either taken as a group or individually. They are made aware of what to do if they have concerns about issues such as bullying.
  • We have a lunchtime 'Hub' which provides a nurturing space for children with social, emotional and mental health needs. This is run daily and supported by specialist teaching assistants who are available to nurture and discuss and worries with pupils.
  • We offer sensory diets to children to help address their sensory needs and get them ready to learn. We run a daily sensory session in the staffroom incorporating sensory equipment and creating a calm zone for the children.   

Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language Therapy OR Occupational Therapy groups

  • Individual support for your child, usually in block sessions.

Extra specialist support from a professional outside the school.

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDCo (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission (generally written consent) for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. Inclusion Services, Educational Psychology Services or Health Care Professionals. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to improve support for them.

Specified Individual support

  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place. This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.
  • In some cases, SEND pupils may have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/School SENDCo as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school. Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from: Local Authority central services such as Inclusion Services, outside health agencies such as the 0-19 Public Health Nursing Team, Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or occupational therapy or physiotherapy.

For your child this may mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current SEND Support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an Educational Health & Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the SEND Support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHCP will outline the range of support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term outcomes for your child. This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.